Friday, December 28, 2012

Welcome William and Oliver!

On the left we have Robert Oliver Kendall 4lbs 15 oz. Born at 5:38 am. On the right may I present William Alexander Kendall 4lbs 2oz born at 5:37am. Birthday of 12-23-12.

So, both boys are here and safe.  But this was almost not the case.  Let me take you back to the 23rd of December 2012 3:30 in the morning.

If you could just imagine the flashback effect of your choice it would really help me out a lot.  You know fade away, the wavy effect, or a camera shot of the window showing the snow falling then slowly panning to my wife and I asleep in bed.  It wasn't snowing but that seems to be a good one.
Really I've thought about it but I just can't figure out how to do a flash back in blog form. 

Wife: My water just broke.
Me: It's go time.
Wife: This is blood.
Me: That's not good. I'll call 911.
Wife: Hang up, it's probably just blood in the amniotic fluid.
Me: Is that a thing?
Wife: Yes.

This is going to be a bit spotty because I had a lot of adrenaline pumping and Flash Bulb memory is a tricky thing.  If you don't know what flash bulb memory is then look it up, it's kind of fascinating and I don't want to get to off track.

Anyways, we were able to get a hold of a friend that was nice enough to speed over and keep an eye on our littlest while she slept.  As we got ready to leave my wife pumped a few quarts of blood out, which was scary as hell.  It might not have been quarts but it sure seemed like it.  

On the way to the hospital the wife and I reassured each other and held hands.

After arriving at the hospital we were rushed into the operating room for an emergency C-section.  We had planned on having a C-section all along but we were planning on doing it in a few more weeks. 

While they were preparing her for the operation there was several attempts at giving my wife an IV.  Usually 
my wife is an easy stick so we were both confused and frustrated by this.  We found out later that it was hard to insert the IV due to her blood loss.  I suppose I can tell you at this point that we were not really aware of how serious the situation was.

At one point I remember one of the doctors asking if the wife wanted her tubes tied regardless of the outcome.  I answered quickly in the affirmative not realizing that the question indicated that there was some pessimism as to whether or not both boys would survive.

William was born about a minute prior to Oliver.  His team had him wrapped up and in my arms pretty quick.  Oliver's team worked on him for what seemed like a really really really long time.  
Eventually both the boys were stabilized enough to be moved to the nursery while the wife was moved to recovery.

At this point I asked for a debrief on everything that had happened medically speaking.  I was informed that my wife had experienced what is called a placental abruption.  In a nutshell, my wife had been bleeding to death and if we had been 10 minutes later to the hospital I would have gone from being a married father of five to a single father of one. We may have lost the twins and I probably wouldn't have much legal claim to my older two kids due to them being my step children.  This means both that I am not their biological father, and they starred in the Step Up film series.  

This experience has led to a new rule in my marriage.  That being, "Whoever is bleeding the least gets to make the medical decisions."

Today everyone is healthy and recovering well.  We hope to have the boys home early next week.  
If any of our readers would care to visit please remember that the boys are medically fragile.  That means that if you are sick, stay away.  If you do not have current flu shots, we love you but please do not visit yet.  If you or your children are not up to speed on your vaccines, we love you but do not wish a visit until this is corrected.  Again, everyone is healthy and we hope to keep it that way.  Please give us a heads up if you plan to visit and try to keep your visit brief as energy is on the low side.

The attention and quality of care we have received from the nursing staff and doctors has been nothing short of excellent.  

We will try to keep everyone posted on our progress. I am certain that I am missing many details which will be filled in over the next few weeks.

Thank you again to everyone for support .  Particularly; a cousin who I haven't seen in over a decade that offered to purchase a car seat for us, mothers and fathers who have dedicated time and funds to assist us, as well as family and friends who have lent time and effort to keeping us sane.

More as our journey continues.

L&P  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this Casey. We have been praying . Didnt know about the beginning of this experience. Thankful to God that Bethie And the boys are still here and doing well.thankful to God that He gave you to Bethie & the girls and that you are such an amazing husband & dad. We are blessed & thankful you arein our family.

    Hugs& blessings

    Love the way you write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy cow! I had no idea things were THAT crazy. Glad everyone came out of that okay and super glad you were able to take time off of work to help out.

    ReplyDelete