Thursday, January 22, 2015

Can You Keep A Secret?

          As many of you know half of the writers of L&P work in mental health. This field of work is simultaneously rewarding and frustrating. Rewarding because helping someone who needs help is always rewarding. Frustrating for many reasons but the reason I would like to focus on today is how the field in which I work is misrepresented.
When I was a kid I thought that mentally ill people all thought that they were Napoleon and got locked up for their own good and to keep them from accidentally conquering all of Europe. This was due to the way in which the mentally ill were portrayed in Warner Bros. cartoons. Now that I work in mental health I have learned that there is somewhat more nuance to mental health than simply putting shackles on anyone that tucks their hand into their shirt.
          It is important to let those that do not work in this field know that the Hollywood version of the world of mental health is inaccurate to the point of damaging.  Specifically the way in which a client's personal and confidential information is handled.  
          If you have watched more than a couple of episodes of Law & Order SVU then you have more than likely seen an episode where the detectives interview a therapist (or other mental health worker). The conversation usually goes something like this,
Detective: I’m a detective; tell me everything about this person.
Therapist: I can’t, because of rules.
Detective: I will destroy you!
Therapist: Oh ok, let me tell you everything then.
Look at my hairline and fear me!
In reality the conversation is more like this.
Detective: I’m a detective; tell me everything about this person.
Therapist: I can’t because of rules.
Detective: Oh, right, there are rules. Ha ha, as a matter of fact, now that I think about it, following and enforcing rules is pretty much my job.
Therapist: Yeah, can you imagine how much it would suck if you were just going around violating peoples civil rights all the time.
Detective: You are right, that would suck.
Both: Ha Ha Ha!
Therapist: Let’s make out.
Detective: Ok.
          I may have taken a little dramatic license with that but I think you catch my drift.
          This is damaging because many people that seek professional help are ashamed of the fact that they need help. Many of the problems that can be worked through with therapy are embarrassing and the idea that one’s inner most demons are up for discussion with anyone is terrifying to the point that some individuals would rather die than know that the trust placed in their therapist was betrayed.
Those considering seeking help for mental health issues may decide to avoid it because the privacy rules seem so lackadaisically enforced in pop culture. Those that work in the mental health field treat their clients’ privacy with care and seriousness. If a client does not trust those that are working with them then the therapeutic relationship is ham stringed. It would be like working as a carpenter but having a prejudice against hammers.
It's just to easy
Thanks to this portrayal of the privacy rules between a therapist and their client it may be thought by the general public that these rules are no more obeyed than rules regarding jaywalking, internet piracy, or the usage of folding chairs in professional wrestling.
If you'd like to read up more on privacy in mental health then check this out HIPAA.
Please dear reader know that if you are considering seeking help from a mental health professional that your privacy is of the utmost importance to those that would help you. If you are already involved in with a mental health professional know that your privacy is secured.
However, if you think that you are Napoleon, then know this, Waterloo is a great song by Abba, but not a place I recommend you visit.

Cheers,
L&P

No comments:

Post a Comment