Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Stuck


It's been about 10 years now since the two halves of Levity and Perspective joined forces
and I thought it would be fun to share what I consider an important moment in our relationship.
Before I shed some light on this particular moment, a little background information.

One of the fun things about having a kid with Down Syndrome is that the diagnosis comes
with a host of other medical issues. One complication that Maggie had dealt with was frequent
choking. Due to this, my wife, myself, and Maggie's older sister have gained more than a
passing familiarity with the Heimlich maneuver. After several doctor appointments, 911 calls,
and more than a few PTSD inducing choking events, it was decided that in order to counter this
issue Maggie would need vascular ring surgery to reroute her esophagus.


Maggie had already had several hospitalizations due to chronic aspiration pneumonia, a mitral valve repair, an AV canal repair as well as a diaphragmatic hernia. When I say several hospitalizations I don't mean like a couple of dozen. For the first few years of her life she was in the hospital nearly as often as not. I learned all of this second hand as I was not yet in the picture. This surgery would be my first venture in to the wonderful realm of inpatient care.

At this point we had been together for several months and were in love. It was wonderful, but I had been in love before. I did not know yet that this was going to be the big one. I remember the moment that I came to this realization.

Maggie was having her central line dressing changed. This was located in her neck and as far as I understand, was a line that fed directly into her aorta. Probably a fairly routine procedure when done on a willing patient. Due to Maggie's inability to understand what was going on, she would not be a willing participant. Imagine trying to thread a needle, but you are performing said needle threading on horseback at a gallop, also if you miss the eye of the needle your needle can bleed to death. Nurses really are amazing.

I myself had no idea what was about to unfold but began to gain the smallest bit of understanding as my wife prepped the nurses. I remember the phrases, "Don't underestimate her strength" and "we'll need more people" being repeated several times. Part of me thought that five adults to restrain a 9 year old child seemed excessive. But the confidence with which the woman that would eventually become my bride spoke caused me to believe that we may be short handed.

Don't worry she made it. We had her raking leaves within the hour.

What transpired next would forever redefine the words love, trust, and strength to me.

As the nurses held Maggie down and performed their duties, my better half held our daughter's face and reassured her. Maggie did not understand the procedure but she knew that it hurt and she was afraid. She fought with every ounce her little body could muster. The nurses were nearly outmatched. They performed admirably.

I have never felt more useless. As the nurses and Maggie and a woman that I'd only known for a few month's struggled, a shameful thought occurred to me.

I could just leave.

Everyone was distracted and I could be halfway to the parking lot before anyone even noticed I was gone. This was too much, WAY too much for me too deal with. I wasn’t ready for this.
Up to this point in my life I'd never dealt with anything this scary or intense. I'd had relationships aplenty, but I'd also done a pretty solid job of avoiding anything that smacked of any REAL responsibility or sacrifice. This blatant display of love, bravery, trust, and raw emotion was a lot to process.

She told Maggie it was all going to be OK. She told Maggie that it was almost over. She told Maggie that she was safe. She told Maggie that she knew that it hurt and she was sorry.
Maggie believed her, Maggie trusted her. This was a situation that the woman that I was in love with had been in several times and she kept doing it; she did it over and over and over again. She would face this every day for the rest of her life if necessary. I had never seen such strength. I never would again.

All thoughts of flight disappeared. Cowardice was replaced with a steely determination to stay as close as possible this woman for the rest of my life. I was stuck. Not stuck in a bad way; like in a cage with 5 rabid koalas. Stuck in a good way, like on a couch with 3 happy sloths and a new season of (whatever you're into).

On my best days I feel like I stand in the shadow of her courage. I'll never not be impressed with her. She is the most amazing person that I’ve ever known and in knowing her, I am becoming a better me. I’m not proud of the me that she initially fell in love with nigh a decade ago. The me that saw a scared Maggie and wanted to flee; but I’m getting pretty happy with the dude that has been created, in no small part, by her love.

She is way out of my league, I hope she never figures that out.

Cheers

L&P

No comments:

Post a Comment